I just got off an hour long teleconference call again. DHS, DDSD, Child
Welfare, Tahlequah & some other agencies were represented. I got a text with
a number & code to dial in with. I asked what this was---DHS worker said it
was a call about Carson if I wanted in.
I said when--she said now. I called.
I had son#3 with me and was in the middle of a ton of stuff at the church
building.
Took the call and tried to just listen.
I knew the Tahlequah workers were
upset yesterday with Carson's outbursts and behavior over the weekend. They had taken him to the
ER and started new meds at 5pm last night after he was attacking staff, peers & himself. DHS/DDSD tried their best to explain
with his severity of autism, this was a huge change up for him & we needed to be
patient. Let the meds kick in.
The staff all took turns speaking. The Marine spoke first---he went OFF.
Crying uncle, saying he was beat up, scratched and was scared because he felt
Carson had "nothing behind his eyes". That he'd been to war before, was 6 ft, 200 lbs and scared.
Mrs. Garrett the house mother, crying saying she was scared to come to work
for the first time ever and she couldn't go on. That she came there as a kid and
knew how scared a kid could be, but this was too much.
They said Rose Rock probably lied, that Carson had been acting this way all
along and they didn't tell them. (no he hadn't--we took him on outings--he wasn't this way in the car ride over there)
They said they probably sedated him & didn't put it on record/file.
Another staff guy got on, saying no one had provided them any info on Carson or
coping skills to help them.
So I couldn't be quiet anymore.
I said something along the lines of:
"I spent an hour and a half on the last conference call about
transitioning, giving you every detail and pertinent info I could think of
concerning Carson. And I understand what you're feeling physically and mentally.
I lived it for a lot of years without someone to tap out with every 8 hrs in
shifts. I took my beatings and I can tell you Carson's endurance/strength is
exactly WHY there were 10 state troopers and 2 motorcycle cops needed on the
side of the road when we had that incident. Because they all needed to tap out.
I can assure you there is PLENTY behind Carson's eyes. They aren't dead, and I
would ask you to remember he is still a child. My child. He is panicked and
scared.
I also think I said from the beginning I didn't think this arrangement
would work. Staffing wise or the house arrangement. And I do think this is an
adjustment period and could work more smoothly for him once he settles into a
routine.
I am very sympathetic with what you're experiencing and more so for what my
son is experiencing. And I promise you, if I had any other "coping skills" to
pass on to you about containing him, HE WOULD NOT BE LIVING WHERE HE IS RIGHT
NOW--HE'D BE WITH ME."
There was probably 15 seconds of silence.
Child Welfare went on to ask Tahlequah what time frame could they give them
to figure something else out for a living arrangement for Carson.
By the end of the conversation, Tahlequah workers all threaten to quit--and
Child Welfare/DHS said they'd have to figure something out ASAP.
After the call, the Greenhorn DHS worker called me, I let her know I knew
of a child who had followed the exact same road Carson had---Special Needs
Petition---Rose Rock--Tahlequah/People Inc.---after he sent three of their
workers to the hospital, the state of OK moved him to Texas Nuero in
Austin.
Besides TX Neuro, I gave her the Dallas/San Antonio info.
I'm inclined to think the idiot that keeps saying NO to out of state
treatment, needs to come to court next time and say it to my FACE. Look me in
the eye you little twerp and look at my pictures of his treatment here, and then
tell me no again punk.
So tomorrow, I am preparing to be ready to go to the capital, Channel 2
Works For You or the newspaper.
My child will NOT be strapped to a bed indefinitely in some in-patient
hospital facility while you toy with his placement and yank him around
again.
That's where we stand. Thank you for caring what happens to a child most of
you haven't met or have only a handful of encounters with. Thank you for not
seeing him as a monster.
Prayers for Carson, his staff, (the director at Tahlequah left the state
for family vacation the day after Carson arrived) and for me and anyone I might
encounter. I am at a serious breaking point mentally. Whether it's me that
breaks or I break someone else, I'm not sure just yet. And if anyone has a
tropical island I could run off to when this is all over and just read in the
sun on the beach---I'll pay you in hand knitted items.
1 comment:
Julie....Oh bless his heart. I really hate that he said he had nothing behind his eyes. What a horrible thing to say. I am proud of you Momma! You are so very brave to fight against the world for your baby! You just rest easy when you can. Much love to you from the Pyrons!
Post a Comment