Thursday, February 16, 2006

the center aisle

You know, that center aisle at church? It has many uses. You can find your seat before services start. You can also chase a screaming child back down it during servies on the way to the bathroom to beat their hiney.(at least my mom did)
Some come forward to use it to ask for prayers & comfort.
You can walk down it at the end of the invitation to come to know Christ & put him on in baptism.

I walked down it when I got married to the most wonderful man in the world.
Yesterday I had the realization that I just walked that same center aisle in front of a lot of the same people, with the same feeling of everyone looking at you, at my father's funeral. No, no, listen to me. The same buidling. That very SAME center aisle my father walked me down to leave me in the hands of my love, my husband. What's the saying? He "gave me away"? Yesterday I guess was me giving him away- back to God.

I don't know a lot of my father's feelings on my wedding day. I'm sure he was pained, even though he loved my husband as much as he loved me. But my pain yesterday was pretty strong. I guess most all of the emotions coming down that center aisle, are pretty strong.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I'm so glad you got the chance yesterday to see how many people your dad touched with his life, including all the people who will be touched by the wonderful daughter he raised.

We're here for you, in our thoughts and in our prayers.