Thursday, September 13, 2007

Point & Jabber


We are happy to announce that son#3 has reached a small but important, developmental milestone this past week. He is pointing at things & jabbering to us about them. Usually it's some form of "that", and it comes out sounding like "dat". This may be taken in stride by other parents, but we're on our third child & have never been through this phase once yet. We could not be happier since the speech therapist that was here Memorial Day weekend said that was a precursor to talking for most babies.


Also, everyone is "dada". Well, except Nana. He's got that her name down too. As much as I try, Hubbo tries, he still looks at me & says "dada". With a smile on his face, first thing in the morning, happy to see me..."dada". Sigh! He's gotten close a couple of times to the Mmmmm sound, but still no luck. At first I thought he was taunting me, now I'm not sure it's in the cards for me to be called mom. You'd think me being the parent that's here with them 90% of the time, they'd choose to say MY name. But NOOOOOOO! That's too easy I guess! Son #2 who doesn't use many things that sound like words- even one of his VERY few, is "dee-a-dee". Oh and the real kicker, son #1, the one who speaks at will with any word he cares to...calls me Julie. Yeaaaaah. Try going to the book fair or somewhere new & in public & having your kid call you by your first name. Everyone thinks you're the babysitter! When I came to son#1's school last year, he was SOOOO excited, he about cried. Literally. Smile on his face, walking down the hallway introducing me to the librarian, music teacher, etc. Then another teacher comes out of her classroom & asks, "Oh, is this your mother?" Son#1: "Nope, this is Julie." Sigh! Maybe one day.


In the meantime, we feel elated every time son#3 points & looks back at us jabbering, knowing that he's leaving that Autism gene behind him in his dust!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That is fantastic! What a little cutie he is. I'm so glad to hear about this important milestone and his advancement. And I think it's kind of endearing that #1 calls you "Julie." :)

anachronist said...

So glad your little one got this first step into talking down. He will hopefully make many steps into this direction and be a talking unique boy soon.

My nephew turned 3 on Sept.6. and is getting to it, too. Still no concept of 'me' vs 'them' and calling the females around him all 'Mama', getting into non verbal means of communication (mostly biting)too much still, but it is visible that he keeps widening his horizont.

shirleyknits said...

That's wonderful about the little one jabbering! I'm very happy for you. -Ann :D