Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween

Monday night our family carved their first pumpkin. #1 son wanted a "silly scary face".
It was a learning experience for us all. I learned you don't cut the top off straight down because then the "lid" will fall down in the pumpkin. I taught dear husband that you can scoop out the pumpkin innards in less than 5 minutes using a metal ice cream scoop. (thanks Martha Stewart!) #1 son learned that pumpkins stink & almost make you gag. #2 son who isn't afraid to taste anything (and I DO mean anything) discovered raw pumpkin isn't the same as pie.
#1 son had been waiting months to dress as "Lord Vader" & be addresses as such. He was also very concerned for weeks now that I wouldn't get his Darth Vader mask fixed in time for him to use it. Luckily mommy found one on clearance at the local supercenter. For $.50 I got 6. I need backups & my nephew needs a stocking stuffer right? Of course I did have to do the "last-minute-sew-something-together" thing by fixing the strap to #1 son's pumpkin he gathers loot in.

Being the yearly designated parental unit to take the #1 son trick-or-treating, I got his black sweats on, his black t-shirt, his Darth cape & mask. We didn't have the red light saber Darth Vader uses. Just the double ended one Darth Maul uses. Somehow my son wasn't upset by this. He even went with the blue light saber that didn't light up or make noise. Meltdown averted.
I don't mind going trick or treating with him because I sort of have a peeping-tom thing. I like driving or walking by houses with doors open or lights on at night so I can peek into their lives.
So I left dear husband with #2 son to try & hand out treats, keep #2 son out of candy & watch for the next piece of furniture the baby would pull up to & fall from. Somehow I think I got off easier.

Off we go house to house. Not many with porch lights this year. I think the news said more churches were doing "Trunk or Treats" this year & people were wary of child predators.
Most people were patient with #1 son's need to impart unconsequential information.
He told one lady,"Look! It's me! (insert first & last name)! Look at me in my REAL eyes!" (taking off his mask)
As soon as another guy answered the door he asked him where his computer was.
One house almost gave us second-hand smoke poisoning just from the 5 seconds we stood there.
And there was the one house with a fire in the fireplace that distracted #1 son so much he told the kid handing out candy, "No, no, no! Move so I can see the fire!"
Of course although he doesnt' eat many or much candy, he still feels the need to try & control what he receives. He loves red. Any red candy is superior in his mind. So occassionally we bartered for red instead of what we got the first time. (sigh!)
Being old, tired & cold I only lasted 45 minutes. Thank goodness #1 son isn't into it THAT much so he didn't care.

Upon arriving home I see the treat bowl had dwindled. I ask dear husband how many kids came through here exactly? He shrugs & says a few.
When I go to the garage to put more candy in the bowl I see a pile shoved to the side & back. There in an orange mound & hidden like precious stones, are all the Kit Kats I'd had in the bowl when I left. Hmmm. When I asked dear husband if he'd done this, his confession was a big fat grin. Fun was had by all & the best part was we were all in bed by 11pm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If there was not enough chocolate for every kid, then it was only fair to remove all the chocolate. Yeah, that is totally logical.

I heard Glenn Beck make a funny comment about Halloween candy: "Fun Size" is not really fun sized. "King Size" is the real fun size. :)

Katrina said...

I have to admit to seeing eye to eye with Glenn Beck on this one. And the logic of hiding the chocolate actually resonates with me (of course, this is from a girl who did so much "taste testing" of our Halloween candy before the big day that I very nearly had to go out and buy some more.)

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I love the account of Jack's trick-or-treating adventures. :) I bet he was an awesome Vader. Caleb also went with the space theme in his gold Star Trek uniform. Of course, never having watched Star Trek before, he simply told everyone he was a "space guy".

Congrats on getting to bed at a sane hour...considering the sugar rush, that's a bigger Halloween miracle than the Great Pumpkin!

Lisa said...

Well, who wouldn't want to watch some fire? I know I would. ;-)

Hooray for Matt and his Kit Kat sensitivities. What a guy!