I don't know what's with me lately. I can't seem to concentrate on much. I keep flitting from one thing to another. I can't stay on a web page long, read a book for much at a time or even watch tv. I'm just from one thing to another constantly. Is it possible to get ADD as an adult?
Maybe it's from going so much lately. I've been on a couple trips, gotten the kids in their summer school schedules and been to numerous family functions.
I think I've been going so hard & fast lately, I can't slow down even when I have much less to do. I don't know what to do with myself going that slow of a pace. My mind keeps going even though my body has slowed down.
I DO go in cycles of what hobbies I'm liking. Computer games, knitting, reading a lot, scrapbooking or movies. But maybe this is more about the "GO GO GO" pace of the average adult. I don't even have that much to do as a parent yet. My kids aren't into three different sports or activities each. And they won't be allowed to be.
Not because I'm a selfish mother, but because I've seen too many parents (some friends included) that's lives are set at that pace. The "GO GO GO" pace.
My neighbor's son is in two sports that overlap each season. And I had a friend who had three kids aged 3 yrs, 8 yrs & 10 yrs old. Each kid took ballet, soccer & Little League. Not to mention the girl scouts & boys scouts. And playgroup for the three year old. Church & those activities for the kids.Now tell me, HOW do you get all that done & still have time to BE, just BE, as a family???? Personally, I don't think you can.
Granted my kids are "different" in the category of activities but, come on! I mean, is it more important that kids start so early on all life has to offer?? (do NOT get me started on 4 yr old kindergarten) And we as adults/parents, should we ALLOW them to set the pace of our lives??
Maybe I'm selfish & not the norm, but I say NO WAY! At my house, there is a lot MORE down time than activity time. We don't get out all that much, but our time together as a family unit, far outweighs our time with the outside world. I want to stick close to my children, I want to be there so they don't have to ask anyone else what french kissing is when they hear it for the first time. Or what gay means. Or when they scrape their knee.
Hear me out, I'm no overprotective mother. Far from it. I just think when the time comes, each SEASON each KID can have ONE sport & one other activity like boy scouts. There will be no overlapping days & our Saturdays & Sundays will NOT be littered with multiple practices & games. There has to be a line for when family time is & when the world is let inside. And I just happen to be drawing it in the sand before the "GO GO GO" ever rears it's ugly head at my house.
So maybe I need to slow myself down NOW, before I acquire the adult onset of ADD from this "GO GO GO" pace.
3 comments:
I've been thinking about busy-ness a lot, too, especially with the onset of summer and a seven year old who suddenly seems to consider me her personal activities director!
I remember doing the same to my mom. "I'm bored," I would whine, but not very often, because the answer, inevitably, was, "Well, what are you going to do about it?"
If we overschedule our kids, we sometimes rob them of the chance to use and develop their own resources, their own creativity, their own interests.
Just a thought. Maybe it's profound. Or maybe I just don't want to spend all day driving...lol!
Jules - At least you want to spend time with your kids! I can remember so many parents who dropped off their children at youth club who had just come from some other activity, and then were scheduled for another one the next evening. They were in school all day long and activities all evening. Made me wonder why the parents had them in the first place!
Katrina-Very good point about kids not being able to entertain themselves now-a-days. I remember being bored in the summers & my mom FINDING something for me to do.;)LOL Not always the most fun thing around either. Usually a chore. I want my kids to be able to be in a quiet house or entertain themselves.
Lisa-I hadn't thought of that, but OH SO TRUE.
Post a Comment