These are the ramblings of a mother of two Autistic sons. I can only share what I've learned & picked up along the way in hopes it helps someone else out or keeps me from going insane. Personally, I'm hoping for the latter.
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
People's Court
Court today went about as well as I could have hoped. Especially since I went into today with the energy of dying fruit fly. We were third on the docket which was a nice surprise and I knew I could at least eat my first meal before 5pm.
The Child Welfare Lady seemed to lead most of the discussion and started off letting the Judge know that OKHCA is finally on board with out of state placement.
The Judge says Hospital Lawyer came pushing at her for a discharge date & wanting to know the plan for where Carson will be going.(See the hospital only gets a stipend, not an actual dollar amount by the day.) This put the judge in a tiny, ever so small tizzy to push OKHCA & company, to move things along a little faster.
The Judge talked about maybe the doctors at the hospital can call out of state hospitals and see about cutting through red tape that way to speed things up.
Seems Albuquerque, NM has said yes but needs to work out funding. DHS Worker expressed displeasure for me, over them being the same company who owns Rose Rock. In fact, when I filed neglect and abuse charges in April/May/June against Rose Rock, they ended up firing their director. An interim director & assistant director were brought in from Sequal Youth Services (owners of RR) of New Mexico, to work in OKC. So these ladies remember Carson and are on board with him coming to NM. The judge asked what we all knew of this place--no one knew anything. Except it's quite a ways away--ahem.
(Also--3 yrs ago when working with Wrap Around Tulsa---New Mexico was first on the list--he was going for sure--and then, nope. This is the same place.)
We discussed waiting to hear back from a place in Houston. So that makes 3 viable options.
And DHS Worker listed in her court report all the places she had contacted--Massachusetts, New York, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, etc. I hope her crown gets extra jewels for all her work she's done for Carson. She's the only one I trust of them all.
DHS Worker brought up my foot in the door at Dallas Autism Treatment Center and that I had just gotten back from going there myself. Judge looked a little impressed and nodded at me. We exchanged head tilts.
Judge asked if I was successful. I voiced the Executive Director of the Board's displeasure at the treatment of OK towards it's own children. I told her this was the very reason I wanted THEM to have my son. I let the Judge know we now have two feet in the door and are waiting to hear from DATC about Carson's admission packet. (It's a lot like applying to college.) The packet was emailed Friday---with the holiday yesterday--we'll see.
The Judge was pleased I think. We all know and agree DATC is the best place for Carson---it's a matter of IF.
The Judge discussed if Carson did go to Texas, would DHS intervention/shared custody still be needed. It was decided probably not, that his funding would still be through state dollars/waivers. Slippery slope that. Before cancelling out what we started I would need to ensure it was all still to remain the same. That the state can't all of the sudden send him back home or drop funding of his care etc. These are slippery state weasels I do not trust at all. I will agree to nothing anytime soon.
The main perk would be to stop paying child support payments. There are others, but before I undo all that work I went through to get to this stage with all this court mandated "help"--I will weigh my pros & cons. I mean in less than 3 yrs he's an adult so...I don't know. That's something for another day when it matters more and I have more brain cells than a fruit fly.
And then of course, DDSD and OKHCA and DHS want a formal meeting downtown, very soon to discuss Carson returning home. That's right, you heard me. I mean that saves them the most money---they wanna give it one last shot. Lay it all out like their selling me a time-share.
I had been told of this from DHS Worker, and while I wasn't excited, I did give her my word I'd go to this sit down.
DHS Worker let the judge know about this meeting---Judge says "What?!"
She almost rolled her eyes....almost. I said nothing.
Then she scoffed. "Fine. But all the doctors from the hospital have said he needs one on one care. HOW could someone do this in their home 24 hrs a day?!"
How indeed. For 18 years I have. And I finally cried uncle 3 years ago. How indeed.
The Judge also said it would be great if the hospital would build a place for kids like Carson. They are so good at hiring wonderful people, they obviously have good doctors. It would fill a huge gap in the state that we are missing for lower functioning mentally challenged kids while keeping our dollars in state. I agreed whole-heartedly!!!!
We ended on this note agreeing to meet back in April and I walked out to talk with OK Lawyer, DHS Worker, and Child Welfare Lady.
We discussed the trip to Texas. They asked how I got a meeting since all they got were no's.
I explained about TX Lawyer and the people he knew. I let them know about Exec Direc Lady and how we all went to the same University.
I'm happy to say they were all impressed. As well they should be.
I explained that if Carson passes the admissions committee, they will send a team. They were clamoring all over themselves with which doctors to have there and if they could come. We'll see. Invitation only.
I told DHS Worker and Child Welfare Lady I was now looking forward to that meeting to talk about sending Carson home----set it up. I'm ready. My filter is wearing thin and I could use a session where I get to speak freely and loudly. I told them I didn't understand how these people were SO SLOW.
Then, OK Lawyer speaks up and says his friend is Hospital Lawyer who came to the judge. He had called my OK Lawyer as he does when he's overrun with cases. Asked if my lawyer wanted to help.
My lawyer laughed and said not on this one--I'm opposing. So they had a meeting with both of them & the Judge and Hospital Lawyer assured them he didn't want to put a kid out on the streets--how would that look for the hospital?
But he had been asked to light a fire to start things moving a little faster.
So...small, tiny, little, confession....
that was kind of me.
I asked Ruby the Red to ask the hospital to get their lawyers involved to push things along. (Can you picture my dimpled grin, when he told me this?)
I am learning what I like to call, "networking manipulation" from the best here in the state--she says, batting her eyelashes.
Use it on my kid and I'll turn it right back on you, ya jack wagons.
While I am ready for this to be all over--I am wondering if my next stage of life will include a career of Child Advocacy specializing in "Networking Manipulation".
I told my OK Lawyer I loved the idea of this wonderful hospital building a Carson type place on their grounds.
We all loved that idea-- they have the funds and would get it done fast. I told him I'd be happy to petition the board of St Francis when the time comes. Who better to beg for such a facility for the kids coming after Carson, than the mom who has been here more than 100 days???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment