Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"Exhibit A Your Honor"

Back at the hospital I'll give you a Perry Mason version.
Court was so empty today and it's usually all Jerry Springer-ish, so that should have been my first clue something was up.
Apparently they weren't even starting until 2:30pm--we were scheduled for 1:30. We were 30th on the docket and they were starting at number 18. 
Our lawyer says he has an emergency hearing in Claremore and has to leave. I'm sorry, WHAT?!
So he handed us over to a lady in a pink shirt who I already saw trying to "help" another family in a not so inspiring way. Luckily, our lawyer told her to "just unleash her" & let me do the talking. 

The DHS worker came in--said the meeting yesterday (that I chose not to attend--I felt it would be doing their jobs for them--again. And also allow them to think I was okay with how things transpired--which I am most certainly not.
She said out of state was not even brought up.
And they asked---wait for it--IF HE COULD JUST GO HOME NOW.
Umm no. They are really stumped. Someone may actually have to leave an office and DO THEIR JOB.

We ran into Carson's attorney. I had emailed him with my attorney with a full & complete update on Sunday evening. Complete with a couple of pictures. 
I think those made it to the Mon meeting I skipped. 
I told him we were 30th on the docket and perhaps he could throw his weight around to get us bumped up--then I flashed a big smile--I've been told that helps.
And I guess it does--we went first. Dimples for the win!

The judge started off saying, "We thought Rose Rock was bad..."
I asked if she'd like to see my pictures she said no quite emphatically.  I had made copies and sorted them but no ziplocks at court so all attorneys and DHS worker got theirs in handy dandy Bio Hazard baggies from the hospital. 
At first I was truly worried she didn't want to see them--but she said the lawyers had forwarded on my email & pictures.
I was perfectly content knowing I had gotten my main concerns across in that email.
We discussed hus meds and adjustments--she was very interested in that aspect.
The judge mentioned the ambulance and Carson being alone and it was dead silent. Then she huffed, "ABSURD!"
More silence. She was not in a mood to be trifled with today. 
I quietly shook my head and said, "Same." (Well I didn't really but in my head I did.)
We discussed the EXCELLENT care he was recieving at St Francis Childrens and how as horrible as this was, it may benefit Carson in untold ways.

She went on to ask if OCC was involved--it wasn't--it is now. She wanted to "make it OCC wide". 
Carson's attorney asked if we could note the judge's disapproval--she didn't answer.
The judge worried outloud that out of state care would be harder to monitor his care/health.
I let that sit & then assured her I had enough family and friends that that would not be an issue.
I told her programs & opportunities I was looking at for my senior in high school, that would keep me interested in Texas for more than occasional visits.
She asked if the meeting yesterday addressed out of state--no. "Of course not" she said with disgust.
Judge turns to Carson's attorney and says, "I'll allow my disapproval noted on placement."
I'll have to have my lawyer friends verse us in how much weight that carries, but she said it with authority and pencils moved rapidly.

She wondered what places are available in Texas. I left that to sit and quietly but then pointedly started listing them & where I had been. 
She said, " I hate to put you to work, but you can look into that for me." 
I assured her it was my job as his mom  and my pleasure. 
She set a court date for January and  we adjourned. 
Done & doner. Pink shirt never said a word but thank you & was practically running to keep up with me as we left the courtroom. We got out in the hall
and she said, "He was right--you did great!"
Thanks Pink Shirt. 

1 comment:

cuppycake54 said...

I just love you!!!! I am excited about this! You are a woman after my own heart! A Mama Bear fighting for her cub! GO YOU!