Saturday, October 24, 2015

Captain's Log Stardate Day 22

 Captain's Log, Star-Date Day 22:

Today had it's ups and downs, the same as every day this week. The boy child in sickbay has been gnawing on his healed arm today. There seems to be an issue with his meds. After all, he went two weeks with his hurt arm in a cast and not once did he touch this other arm until yesterday. Today his hand was swollen to what the nurse has deemed "Puffy Monster Hand". After an investigation, we (Tyler the RN and I ) have determined it to be a compression issue. We feel we resolved this issue with Tyler's manly scissors just cut all the compression sleeves off. We put on a new Posey sleeve with thumb hole and a velcro IV cover on Puffy Monster Hand.
Still the boy child feels compelled to scrape his teeth on it. So difficult to watch him go from happy to manic and do nothing.  I told Tyler I'm convinced it's some med that is missing that keeps him from doing OCD/manic behaviors. He is not exhibiting these behaviors in the mornings. Being the Captain and not being able to make things better is not a good feeling.

Also today, the Lord has made his presence known to me. I always feel him near but today he used others to show himself.  I needed this encouragement, and show of strength to gird  up my loins for the fight I know is coming ahead of me. 

Today's first patient sitter for the boychild was an older lady with a gravely voice. Her name was Willie. Same as a lot of the times, after a bit of time in the room with us, questions are asked.
She wanted to see pictures. Willie gasped. I told her about my year of trying to get Oklahoma to be willing to send him to Texas. And now that they are, but Texas is rightly upset with Oklahoma and not interested in playing ball.
I told her my tentative plan to threaten to sue them so they'll somehow make Texas work to shut me up. Turns out Willie's best friend was in an abusive relationship and couldn't get back into her home once she left, to get her work clothes. Willie's apparently spunky because when she called police and they said they couldn't help, she called Senator Tom Coburn's office and demanded help.
Willie ended up with a police escort down the highway to her friends house to get her clothes within 3 hours. Oh and the checkbook.
Also, Willie's mom is 91 years old and in a nursing home. She fell and hurt her knee. A few days later when Willie checked on her she could tell it was bad and took her to the ER.
Her mother's knee cap was broken and is permanently damaged. Willie demanded the nurse tech be fired who had called to tell her about the fall but never reported it to the RN.
The facility fired him but Willie went further to the Governor and made sure his license was revoked. Spunky.
Willie said I needed to take this to the press and to the state capital and get the governor involved. I'm thinking this is sounding good. This could be why God set all this up last year in early December when I went to the capital.

Patient Companion number two was Allen. Just like my dad's name. And his last name was my grandfather's name. I think I can remember that.
He stared a lot. I talk to the boy child almost non-stop as I feed, clothe and change him. I'm sure to some people it's odd. But if it was me, I wouldn't want to be ignored and I cannot know if the sitters speak to him after I leave.
After I feed the boy child some lasagna I brought from home, I am telling him about the wonderful lady from church who made it. Telling him about her, and how I've known her my whole life.
How kind she was to make us food and bring it so I can be with him all day every day.
Allen asks what church I go to. Turns out he goes to Park Plaza in Tulsa. Small world.
The lord allowed me tonight to leave the boy child in the hands of fellow brother in Christ so I could go home and make a Halloween costume and feel he was in good hands.






No comments: