Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Progress

prog·ress

noun
1.
a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.
2.
developmental activity in science, technology, etc., especially with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.
3.
advancement in general.
4.
growth or development; continuous improvement: He shows progress in his muscular coordination.
5.
the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

We're gonna go with definition 5 today folks.
Son#2 *has* made some progress since being at Camelot. He can keep his clothes on, the majority of the time. He can put his own shoes on himself. He will use a fork or utensil while eating. His outbursts are less frequent. He's getting better at waiting, unless it involves food. And while son#2 hasn't mastered his anger, the higher powers at Camelot are talking discharge. He will have been there ONE YEAR on September 26th.

The "powers that be" (PTB) will be doing his annual review on that date, and we've been given a heads up by Lolly the therapist that they probably can't find a reason to keep him. We were told if we start to come to therapy once a week, (4 hr total round trip) OR take him on overnight passes more often, we might be able to draw out the time he can stay. Hubby & I feel we logistically & financially we can't play the game that way.

There have been changes at Camelot that make it difficult for me to feel as comfortable with him being there as well. The director is now in a different job & I truly felt she had the kids best interest at heart. While I don't know the new director & can't question her motives, I feel less comfortable than I did.
Toya, son#2's main, favorite of all people, staff---was let go. She was put on leave after a director of a different cottage observed her with son#2 and felt she was being too rough. I wasn't there but can tell you, I'm sure that wasn't the case. Toya has been out with our family on outings & for meals, I've always felt she was helping son#2 & forever patient with him. Not to mention the fact that she has a mentally challenged sister that is an adult now that she helped raise.
Camelot found her not-guilty, but because of this person's wording in her report, a complaint went to OCA. (Oklahoma Child Advocacy) So now, Toya has been on un-paid leave since first weeks of July, and she recently got a letter terminating her from Camelot. Which is very disappointing to me since in December when son#2 had such horrific bruising & OCA was called in, they couldn't pin down who was negligent or who caused the bruising so those workers were allowed to stay on.

I called OCA myself & left messages saying I'd testify to how I felt Toya did with son#2. And I sent her a character letter, notarized and ready to go. Poor thing needs to clear her name to still work in this field, even if she can't get back at Camelot. We'll see how all that goes, but son#2 has adjusted really well to his new staff and seems to be doing okay. So that's a relief to me throughout all that.

Having son#2 home sounds divine in some respects & scares me in others. His anger still isn't under control completely. There are many things here that need to be addressed before he's here full time & the time clock is ON! One of which is the small problem of the fridge & pantry. And then there's not enough bedrooms for everyone to have their own. I may start a change jar to save for a house.

Life is moving on, school starts the 23rd of August here. Son#1 is a freshman, son#3 is starting at a school by our house and then it closes next year. I tried to get him transferred to one that will stay open so he doesn't have to keep switching, but the planets didn't align on that for me.

All, in all things will be changing for us. Son#2 we are 95% sure will be coming home at the end of Sept, early October. Progress has been made, we've all learned a lot and God had a plan. I love the idea of less bruises on son#2 and being able to see what he needs. But with that comes so many things I can't control. His anger is one. There's all the walks he's used to, having to stop the other kids schedule or what I'm doing to take him for a walk to calm him down is going to be new. Get him re-enrolled in school here, maybe find a place he can go half days after school. Where he'll have time alone in this house, I don't know. Keeping him from eating cleaners and putting all my knives and soap in the kitchen away, will be a step backward in adjustments. Everything locked back up, will undoubtedly drive us mad at the beginning, but this *is* progress. I'm not in on it yet, but there's plan because I have faith someone bigger than me knows what's going on.

No comments: