What a crazy, fast week it's been. It started last Friday when son#2 needed to be picked up early from having meltdowns which we later found was due to allergy issues. He has since been home every day at some early stage having to be picked up from school or never having gone at all. It's all snowballed and it seems with the moon phases the past few weeks the kids decided to pounce on us all at once. But today the clouds have parted so I'll share some of the stuff that's been going on.
** Son#1 has been able to stay up later than "the brothers" since he IS older. But because it's sporadic and the days aren't set, he's using different ploys every night to try and get his way with staying up late most nights now. Partly because of his age, throw in some of the Autism and then all the sudden it's a fight every single night to stay up late. His reasoning and argument is he was able to the night before so every night should be the same. I think we're on our way to setting up a schedule of which nights a week that includes. I'm just getting over the shock that we're arguing about *this*. Will there ever be a time we aren't arguing about every little thing?
** Son#1 got in trouble sort of, the other night when we heard squealing to come out in the living room and see he was chasing the brothers and I could smell an air freshner EVERYWHERE.
After watching Shrek the Third, son#1 had read on the bottle (after getting it out of the hall closet) that it said Love Potion and so he thought he'd make the brothers fall in love if he sprayed them with it. There were quite a few showers that night. I don't know if I can even stomach using the rest of the bottle. Did I mention he ALSO sprayed it in his mouth & son#3's? Luckly there was no poisonous stuff in it. They didn't like it--which may have taught them a lesson all by itself.
** This weather is killing us with the confusion. It's a tad too humid and warm lately to use just fans at night, but then the A/C means we're too cool and runny noses by the end of the night. What gives Mother Nature!? Crap or get off the pot lady! It's either spring or summer....make up your muddled mind & let me know ASAP.
** Son #2 has been home so much he's bored, and therefore exploring a tad more than normal. I'm fighting frustration and wanting to watch those nature video's where the mother's eat their young, and he's having a grand time. This week it's been trash bags from out of the box....they make great parachutes to snap around. And knives all out of the knife block we've had since before he was born, all laid out in a line on the counter top. Oh and scissors. I half expect to walk into his bedroom one day and he'll have found my pocketknife I keep in my purse, cleaning his nails. That kid. If there's danger, he seeks it, finds it, shakes it's hand and invites it home for a meal.
** Having son#2 home is a little taste of summer for me. It's rather scary since this year has brought so many changes that summer is bound to be even more difficult than normal.
Son#3 doesn't take naps anymore so I get to listen to his chatter or fights with son#1 on a constant basis. And without him in summer school, he'll be sure to get bored & cranky much quicker during the daytime.
Son#2 still being in the naked phase makes it difficult for much outside play. Either I would have to lock him out or us out. Whichever way makes it complicated to know what's going on inside, my spidey sense doesn't tingle through brick walls very well. One month of school left, I just hope son#2 can stay at school most days so I can get the preparation done/ready for summer before it gets here.
** Son#3 has quite a mind of his own lately about long pants and short pants, as he calls them. Apparently at school his teacher is asking them to line up according to different things each day---like those with white on can come up to the head of the line etc. He has wanted to wear pants & cried every day this week and each day has been 80 degrees. Today he's home & outside...in jeans. But he was thrilled to be the line leader.
** Son#1 has decided he need a birthday recorder for his present today. Took awhile to figure out, he's wanting a cassette recorder to talk into and then rewind and listen to himself. Apparently he saw one of these ancient relics at school from one of his teachers. He has a little baby recording toy he carries around the house and loves to use when his brothers cry or I yell someone. LOVES to play that back. Fun. Where on earth I'll get one of these is beyond me. I don't have time to order. He has a funny thing about if he didn't pick the present, he doesn't want it. Like he received a birthday card *and five dollars* this week from Mr. Johnny his janitor from his elementary school. He and Mr. Johnny were close & he's been so sweet over the years and kept in touch well this year. But because it didn't come ON his birthday, son#1 asked me to write Mr. Johnny back and tell him it wasn't his birthday yet. It's a control thing. We're working on how impolite it is to tell someone who gives you a birthday gift or any OTHER gift that you didn't ask for it so you don't want it. Work in progress.
** Son#1 also has all A's and one B at the 12 week mark. I'm very pleased he brought up his B in math to an A because I personally haven't seen an A in math since I think I was his age.
His B is still in PE, and I plan to motivate him to participate more to get his grade up. Maybe Lego Indiana Jones for his DS will spur him on.
** One of things that you may not realize or think about with Autism is everyday small things. One of the reasons son#2 having to come home is because he can't/doesn't know how to blow his nose. If he could get some of the congestion OUT, he'd be better off, would be able to breathe and eat at the same time and would not be as frustrated I think. Son#1 sort of gets the idea but there's just something about the actual act they can not master. In turn, they sneeze a lot. And it ain't pretty. But something simple we all take for granted makes our lives complicated sometimes. And son#2 is WAY past the size and age of holding him down like a baby to suction the boogies out. It just makes it interesting. If nothing else, it's ALWAYS interesting here.
No comments:
Post a Comment