I'd like you to meet the newest addition to our family--Chloe.
She’s a poodle and sort of rescue situation. According the breeder she is a year old. I saw an ad in the local paper's website of free poodles. I knew I wanted a poodle because I'd had one before, they are smart, no shedding, long life span and good with children. And I wanted a non-puppy but not a dog too far down the path of life. In our house, I don't have time to potty train anyone else or deal with their baby behavior. I wanted a small dog yet not a toy---too much action at my house for any tiny animals. Chloe had only been kept in a crate her whole life and only seen one human, the breeder. Breeder lady got too old to keep up with them all so she started giving them away & so a friend and I went to check her out Dec 20th. She was SO timid. Had NEVER been outside-EVER. The breeder kept food out till 3pm and then she took the food away & the dog only ate in the crate. This was her first car ride, first other experience with humans and first grooming. She was under the couch when we got there. It took us 30 min before any of us found her. So she is SUPER timid right now but lets us hold her & pet her. We’re trying not to overwhelm her. But she’s warming to us. She doesn’t bark or growl, she’s just not sure. Her whole world has been turned upside down.
Dec 22-
Chloe made it to the vet and had an ear infection and worms. She took her medicine like a trooper and was perking up after a day or so on it. She got several shots too. After a call to the breeder, I found she is a year or so old. She was pretty sure her books had her birthday as Sept 6th. The vet and I are guess 2008 since she has all her adult teeth. Chloe weighs 6.2 lbs.
De 25-Jan3
She did great in the snow--you'd have thought having her world turned upside down, she'd be scared of 8 inches of snow, but she was a bounding trooper.
Chloe has been timid still at times, trembling but never shying away from us as if she's scared of us. She was never hit, but not being socialized or around children before, well our house is like jumping in feet first with noise.
She's also growled a couple of times at Hubbo coming in the room when she is laying next to me. At least she's made a noise finally! Chloe did lick my hand last weekend. Still only eating and drinking at night.
Jan 8-
Still can't really walk on the kitchen floor. I've read they have to master that if they've lived in a crate. But still, not ONE accident since she came to live with us. Chloe didn't eat last night but I think it's because I left her coat on for warmth. She didn't really know how to come back inside in it. Chloe did make some progress today with some firsts. She took food from my hand for the first time. So far she hadn't even accepted a treat from me. And she full out barked at Hubbo! We laughed, at least she has a voice in there! She also opened her body up while sleeping. She's been a tense, tight circle when sleeping, now she laid more on her back so I could rub her tummy. She's so soft like velvet!
I'm sure many will wonder why on earth I'd think a dog in our house wouldn't just create more chaos.
But, it's not only what my heart wanted--this is the longest I'd been without a dog in my life, but I wanted the boys to learn to live with and respect another living thing. I've learned in the few weeks we've had her that her special situation is only going to take love, patience and kindness. We happen to do those things pretty well around here.
3 comments:
You get extra points for choosing houndstooth as a pattern! Did you make that?!
She's so cute! Look at those wide eyes! It sounds like you'll be a blessing to each other. :)
God bless you Jules for loving little Chloe so gooood. She is a precious little girl and i'm so glad she has you to love her and nurture her. What a sad former life, poor little darling.
Post a Comment