Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A BIG Ten Things Tuesday

Being the last month of school, we've been more heavily involved in school things. Son #1 goes to middle school next year (6-7-8 grades) and son#2 is having issues staying at school
so I thought I'd just show you with some pictures what we've been up to.

1. Rainbow day at son#2's school. Each grade wears a certain color & the clear a parking lot while someone stands on the roof and takes a school picture.
2. Son #1's latest funny journal entries:

If I went to the desert, I would see : snakes. It is hot in the desert. I would see cacti.
The last time I cried was: Grayson ate my Lays. I got another one. That made me happy.
If I could build a robot: like Moby. I can install his speech function. He would say give me fifty dollars.
I smile (it said scream & he crossed it out & put smile) whenever I see: ants. They look for crumbs. They are cute.
A place that seems interesting is: New York. It has cities in it.
Right now something I really need is: a few bags of Lays. I need them because I'm keeping them. I eat them.
The telephone is an important invention because: you call someone far away. You can call your family. I call the police.
I'd like to invent a machine that: makes lightsabers. It has a red blade. I make it out of glass.
My favorite thing to talk about is: nothing. I don't have to talk. I have nothing to say.

3. Tuscany Brand Brushetta from Sam's. And Multi-Grain crackers from Sam's. Yummo!

4. My new gadget that has me eating A LOT of fresh pineapple!

5. Son#2 went to back to school today & hopefully when the baby naps, I'll get some time alone!

6. The month of May has tons of good movies coming out so Hubbo and I are on the path to see several this month starting with Star Trek. He went last night, and hopefully tonight I'll go.

7. Son#3 has enough hair that after he got an electric train stuck in his hair & we had to cut it out close the scalp, there's not even a hole in his mop of a head.

8. I plugged in a nightlight last week about the time that lightning struck closeby. It sparked, barely zapped my thumb but there was not ONE piece of glass found or metal from that bulb. Nothing but stink & black soot.




9. The local Autism walk was this past Saturday & we had a load of fun. For the first time all the Swaims got to participate. I was thrilled we could all be there! Even though dark weather was looming, we had a great turn out of a lot more people than usual. Possibly because they pushed it back a couple of weeks later this year. We had it at a new place too that I think was much more suited to the walk. Special thanks from the bottom of my heart to Carrie & her family, Tracey, Tamara and all of son#1's teachers/principal and administrators for showing up to support us all.
10. And last, yesterday was our field trip to son#1's school he'll attend next year--Middle school.
I had no idea I'd be so emotional over it. But seeing these boys I recognized from earlier years was just so overwhelming! They were so tall, most taller than me. And one greeted us at the door, showing his previous teacher that was with us, he had a moustache now. HA! We had a tour, lunch & got to meet a lot of the their teachers and kids he'll be with next year. It was a blast & I'm so happy I went. It's interesting to be an outsider watching the way a young person with Autism can communicate with another person on the spectrum. Or what they choose to communicate about. These kids were such a joy that I'm loosing my trepidation about son#1 moving on & growing up.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow, middle school--what a trip! It doesn't seem like we should have kids that old! :)

Glad you weren't hurt in the crazy lightning explosion incident!

Ashleigh Neel said...

Julie,
I so enjoy your blog and getting to keep up in what is happening with Son # 2 especially :) I miss that kid so much.
Ashleigh (Hurd) Neel