The kids are out of school today to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. #1 son has only been excited because it means he doesn't have to go to school. This morning he woke up & he was confirming there was indeed no school today. Here's the conversation:
son#1: "No school today. It's Martin Lubber King Jr day."
me: "That's right."
son#1: "We love Martin Lubber King Jr."
me: "Yes we do. You do know he's dead though right?"
son#1: "He is?"
me: " Yeah he lived quite awhile ago. What DO you know about Martin Luther King Jr?"
son#1: "He was a President?"
me: "Nope--a preacher."
son#1: "Well, Martin Lubber King Jr wasn't allowed to do things other people were. He wasn't allowed to eat Doritos like the other kids. He couldn't even eat any Classic Lays. He had to eat the black* and green* ones. They were very mean to him. And now, because of Martin Lubber King Jr, I can eat the yellow Lays or any other color if I want. But I don't like the sour cream and onion. And I'd be sad if I had to eat them and not the Classic Lays."
me: "Yeah he wasn't allowed to do a lot of the same things other people were because of the color of his skin. Martin Luther King Jr was someone who fought for civil rights."
son#1: "I know. I said I don't have to eat the sour cream & onion if I don't want to."
me: *sigh*
*black Lays--BBQ
*green Lays--Sour Cream & Onion
6 comments:
/chuckle
Now there's an interesting potential Frito-Lay ad camapaign...
The true meaning of civil rights--the freedom to choose one's potato chip! You are priceless, Jackson!
I knew exactly what he was talking about! Ah, the things we take for granted ... Thanks, MLK, Jr!
Oh for times when we don't have to worry about the color of our...potato skins? Out of the mouths of babes. Is it a bad sign that he nixed my two favorite flavors?
Priceless!
:)
Post a Comment