Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Break Me

Well it's been Spring Break here this week. The kids were out of school last Friday & go back this Monday. Does it make me a bad mommy to know the hour count on that?

Let's see if I can give you a run-down of the activities here at the House of Pain.
Son#1 & son #3 can NOT be in the same room without fighting with one another. Usually over a toy #1 thinks #3 shouldn't have, touch or breathe on. And if it's not that, it's #3 pushing #1's button. The power button to the tv that is. He knows #1 comes UNHINGED when he does that repeatedly. It's like someone snuck him a manual for "Top Ten Things to Annoy a Sibling 101". From a different room in the house they sound suprisingly like cats fighting and hissing at one another. I'm about to get a spray water bottle out for them here pretty soon.

Son#2 is still having some issues. He was melting down every day last week, which just isn't like our happy (properly medicated) #2 son. So when he started here this week it escalated. I think he misses school. He's inflicted some good scratches & gotten me good a few times across the neck too. He also went to the doctor last week. Apparently I'm not shrinking, which is good news that I won't have to start taking any calcium like that pill pushing Sally Field takes. However, it does mean son#2 has grown ONE INCH and A HALF since AUGUST. That is a lot people. He's now 4ft 7 inches and weighs 96 lbs. His height puts him well over the 98% percentile for his age group. The doctor was thinking he was 9 years old, till I reminded her he doesn't even turn 8 until this summer. I think gobsmacked might be the right word for what her face expressed. I'll take a picture soon of son#2 & myself alongside each other. He's gaining on me & I'd lay odd he's taller than me WAY before he hits puberty.

Son#2 also had a painful week because he's loosing and has lost a toenail. Apparently with his high pain threshold we never knew months ago that he had dropped something on his big toe & smashed the nail. Well, it seems it was loosening this week & he snagged it on something. (we do all nail cutting at night in this household--sensory issues & it seems to be a tradition in my husbands family) So #2's been hopping around the house, squealing & sqwaking at us if we bump him or come near it & really tried to hurt me when I thought a bath was a good idea. I've lost a toenail too, and I remember the pain, but I didn't bite anyone. I just wanted to kick them through a wall if they breathed on me. Needless to say, #2 is having a rough week which in turn results in a rough week for me. But the doctor like us, believes this growth spurt puts him in need for a new dose for meds. Which is what we're changing up so hopefully son#2 will be back to his happy self come Monday morning. I know I will be come 8:30am!

And then of course there's the car wreck hubbo was in Tuesday night. Tons of rain, many of you got the email I sent out about it so I'll make this the short version. Woman distracted in rain didn't notice him waiting to turn left, rear ends him/our car, and pushes him into the other oncoming lane. Good thing nothing was coming & a witness sitting on our street saw the entire thing. No one was hurt thank goodness, but our car is banged up, perhaps totaled. But how backwards is it that all the phone calls to insurance agencies, stress, hair pulling and the like, have to be made by US? We were NOT at fault, yet we miss hours out of our day/work, taking care of this? I think she should have to since the accident was her fault. She was apparently very upset at the thought of telling her husband. I feel like even THAT wasn't punishment enough for her. Especially for someone named Mindy who spells it M-E-N-D-I-E.

So Spring Break has just about broken me. I think I'll survive this last day. Matt's off tomorrow so I will tag him in after he sees the doctor. (he's starting to feel some whiplash) Hopefully, son#2 won't smell the weakness in him because I'm going to a movie!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

What a week! *Hugs* to you--you definitely deserve a movie treat!

I think you might be on to something with the spray bottle. I might try that next time Katie and Caleb get into a scuffle over a toy. They'll probably be so surprised that they'll forget what they were fighting over!

shirleyknits said...

I'm so glad your hubby is okay!

Some weeks are all about surviving the week. That doesn't make you a bad person. {{Hugs}} When the kids were little, I knew exactly how many hours were left until bedtime (mine), every day. VBG

Ann :D