Thursday, August 10, 2006

It's A Miracle!

There are exactly 7 days until school starts up again. My children have been out of summer school for 3 weeks so far. 3 VERY LONG weeks. I know I sound rather wimpy but I had grown accustomed to having some time each day while the baby slept & the big kids were at school, to just have complete & utter quiet at my house. I don't ask much, my husband & I don't get dates really. We don't get to attend church, we don't get too much time away from the house in general. But I'm really really happy with my life. And I rarely spend time thinking of what I might possibly missing out on.
I've turned into quite the homebody & more often than not, I'd rather be home than anywhere else. But the quiet times get me through. It rejuvenates me to another level of being able to cope with the chatter & constant repeated questions & squabbles.

This being said, I haven't had quiet in 3 weeks or more. The times I HAVE been out of the house they've been to stores where someone elses child is doing the exact things I'm trying to escape hearing. And this brings me to my vices. I'm not proud but I am in no way embarrassed by them.

Cable television. I love me some tv people! I will watch just about anything. My soaps are the only adults I see during most days & I love getting into the ridiculous dramas. They make my life look SO tame in comparasion. We have a very ecelectic viewership. It's not odd in one night for us to be on the Discovery channel, Bravo, & Sci-Fi. (when we still got it-curses down on those Cox people) I love the reality shows & I am up on American Idol & LOST. I still need to catch up on Prison Break & 24 before the new seasons start though. So I do have some homework coming.

Another vice is the computer. Everything from surfing the net, IM-ing my husband all day & finding out where Chachi (you may have seen him on Arrested Development most recently) is to what time Project Runway reruns. I email constantly, run a scrapbooking website & check bulletin boards daily. Okay, some hourly. And I do dabble in the occasional online computer game. There's nothing like transporting yourself to a place where your body is cartoon curvy & you're outnumbered by men 24 to 1.

Now, this brings me to my last & favorite vice. Caffeine. I'll take it any form. I'm not too picky. I prefer to start off with 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning. Then gravitate in the afternoons to 2-3 Diet Dr Peppers. If it's been extremely hard week (PMS perhaps) or I feel the need to indulge myself, I'll drink a regular Dr Pepper or two.
So today I had already had my coffee, even one Diet Dr Pepper. But I was getting a headache & decided I'd chase my Excedrin with another one. When I reached into the fridge my 12 pack was EMPTY. Now there was not TOTAL panic. I knew I had another 12 pack in the garage but hot Dr Pepper of ANY variety SUCKS & it doesn't really help to try it over ice. When it's hot, there's no fizz. And the ice waters it down much too quickly. My favorite way to drink it is COLD from the fridge & then pop it back into the freezer & let it get SLUSHY! OH yeah! Just saying it makes my mouth water! (yep that's an addiction alright!)
Going back, I peek down into the empty box, no cans. A tear almost seriously escapes my eye....as did a few choice words I kept in check. But I went out to the garage, got the new 12 pack & as I pulled out the old, empty box, one single can of Diet Dr Pepper rolled out.

JOY! I can't explain the joy & utter amazement I felt! Not having to drink the hot Dr Pepper over ice. Not having to wait for one to get cold in the freezer. Ahhh bliss. It was just like the Bible talks about in John chapter 6. The loaves & fishes. This was my miracle of loaves & fishes. I needed & God provided. God is good people, God is good!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Haha! It's a carbonated miracle! I'm so glad you weren't reduced to hot pop over ice--I have similar issues with Diet Coke, so I was feeling your angst!

It's the little pleasures that add up to great contentment, isn't it?

Hang in there--your quiet time will return!

Lisa said...

When the last Dr Pepper rolling out of the box can be compared to the miracle of loaves and fishes, you know your caffiene addiction is serious.

I feel the same way about my diet root beers, however, so I can relate.

The doc took me off caffiene a couple years ago because it was causing some health problems. So I'm limited to one cup of java a morning. It was hard, but at least can sleep at night!

Jules said...

Oh don't you worry-I can still sleep at night.;)LOL

Anonymous said...

That is so precious Jules~what you needed most! You're my kind of people :) I think I'll have another cup of coffee today, thanks for the inspiration. Love, MB