Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What's To Come

In the recent weeks & month I've had the opportunity to get back in touch with several old acquaintances & friends. Out of nowhere I've spoken to, received calls from & gotten emails from an ex-boyfriend, college roomates, cousins, friends & even a best friend from 6th grade.
My life is usually rather plain & boring. Just the perfect speed for me & the laid back life-style my husband & I lead. I like my life in it's comfortable bliss.

But I think my comfort zone of life is having a shift is causing confusion. I think my mind is grappling with the switch back to people I haven't seen since college or my wedding. It's hard to know what feelings to have. You're happy to see that person & you have good memories there, but neither of you are the same person. There aren't the same conversations really. You've both moved on to more in your life. It's not too difficult to pick back up where you left off, but the feelings come with the memories. Then you start to realize those feelings & memories don't really fit this part of your life now. The people DO, but you have to start over with the friendship almost. There IS history but there ISN'T the same bond over day-to-day things anymore.


So we all go off & get married, or don't, start jobs, careers & children. We grow up essentially.
My question is why are all these people back in my life all the sudden? What purpose does God have? Is it just the internet age connecting us all finally or is it a purpose that only God knows for what's to come. Maybe there will be a time or situation that we'll need those people from our past. Will only those people truly understand or remember what we were & are now. Maybe those are the people that know our true selfish selves. After catching up with all these family members & friends, I've decided to let God worry about why they are in my life & just go with the flow & enjoy the friendships I've reconnected with. I don't want to come across as not enjoying the reconnection with friends, I just started to wonder what was to come when 10 came out of nowhere. It's hard not to think God placed these people here to help me through the rough spots of this year. Maybe I should consider these blessings & not ask questions. One lesson I've learned is a good friend is worth starting over with no matter when they come back into your life.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

"One lesson I've learned is a good friend is worth starting over with no matter when they come back into your life."
That is a terrific line and so true. I'm very glad to have you "back in my life," albeit electronically. I never know when I'll be stranded at the Tulsa airport and just knowing you are there somewhere is comforting. ;-)

Aside from that, I appreciate your encouraging comments and the glimpses I get into your world. You knew me at probably one of the ugliest points of my life and have an understanding of what I went through. I'm so thankful for you!

Jules said...

You are a special person Lisa. Someone who really is genuine like you is hard to come by. I recognize that about you & respect the rawness that takes from a person. It's so much easier to be someone you're not. I've never gotten anything from you other than who you are. And anytime you fly through Tulsa, email/call! I'll come chit chat with you between flights.;)

Katrina said...

Yes, I'm feeling ya. Sometimes watching my life unfold is like sitting in the theater, watching a play I've never seen before. I know everything is significant, I just don't always know why until the end!

RosieBoo said...

About two years ago a "Jules" in my life came back that I went to high school with (actually we were in kindergarten together). We hadn't talked since the mid 90's, but the cool thing is she has become a believer since high school, so now when we talk, it is like a whole new friendship.

Ironically, she and her husband will be moving back to Louisville in a few years and I've already started wondering how she'll fit into my world then, and realize that God has a plan for that...pretty cool.