We had to put our Tinga dog to sleep yesterday. It was very sudden. She had stopped eating Thursday into Friday last week and then Saturday morning she came into our room & vomited. I took her outside & then when I went to clean it up I noticed lots of tiny blood clots. I was obviously concerned & called the vet who sort of blew it off as she probably swallowed something & to watch her.
Well then we saw her stools were black & tarry. Looking it up on the internet it could be her swallowing something or something more serious. All the clots & tarry stools were indicators of digested blood. She was still drinking at this point & really only acting tired, not sick or whinning or whimpering.
Then Sunday after we got back from my mom's house, she went had thrown up again & her stools were much worse. We took her into the vet & after they did some blood work said it was most likely Auto Immune Hemolyctic Anemia.
http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/immune%20disorders/autoimmune%20hemolytic%20anemia.htm
So basically her body is attacking red blood cells & killing them off. A dog's AIDS if you will. Her blood count was a 16! He sent us home to think about if we wanted to treat her or not. (lot of expense) That was super hard because you want to do what you can but how much can you spend? It was soooooooooooooo hard & terrible. We decided to bring her back in Monday (yesterday) morning for another blood count like they had suggested. Matt took her. It was a 10. It had digressed so rapidly they told us there was nothing to be done. They did say they would put her to sleep, but for $100. HA! (needless to say we won't be going back THERE anytime soon)
SO I called our old (GOOD) vet, Matt stayed home & we took her in the afternoon to be put down. After losing my dad so recently I didn't think this would be as hurtful. I was wrong. Matt & I both had THE hardest hardest time with it. After 4 1/2 yrs a pet becomes family. They are there day in & day out. I had to take her, Matt didn't think he could. I hated to think of her dying alone so I told them I wanted to stay. Once I got there, I couldn't even speak. I changed my mind. But they really seemed so genuine & loving, I believed her when she said they would take care of her. I had lost two dogs in my life before, but never been there when they were gone or put to sleep. One even died ON my 9th birthday. But this was seriously one of the hardest things I've EVER had to do in my LIFE.
Jackson hasn't asked yet. We told him yesterday daddy was home to help take Tinga to the dr she was sick. When he does ask, I'll probably tell him she went to be with Papa. It would have been way easier to have someone tells us it HAD to be done. (putting her to sleep) But I guess that's the sucky part of being a grown up.
2 comments:
Oh, Julie! I'm so sorry you've had to face yet another loss in your family. I know that Tinga has been well-loved and that her absence will be a big change for you guys.
I know it was a hard decision to make, but even if you had spent the money and tried the treatment, there was no guarantee it would work, and her sickness would have been prolonged. Sometimes, for a pet, yours is the most loving decision you can make.
Big hugs to all of you!
My heart really goes out to you. Our family pet, Tigger, recently had to be put to sleep. It's been incredibly hard for my parents (Dad especially). Pets are just like family members and can be just as hard to lose.
Katrina is right, though; you and Matt made the best decision.
God bless,
Lisa
Post a Comment