I have never been good at relaxing & have been given many ideas from people just how to go about achieving this state of relaxation. This weekend I found the way.
I'll state for the record, I've never been a bath person. I know, I know...they are so luxurious & pampering. Okay so before I had children I did indulge in the occasional bubble bath & relax with a good book. However, I found I wasn't very good at not getting the book wet (a cardinal SIN to me) and the water gets cold quick. So, I do showers. I like showers. I don't miss baths.
Now I did TRY to enjoy a bath. Everyone on TV, in books & just in general makes us think women should enjoy & long for a nice bubble bath. I tried, I really did. I wanted to see what everyone was so excited over. I just never got it. I still don't. I have no problem missing out on water going cold, pruney skin, and wet books.
Maybe it's because I'm a GO GO GO person. I can't sit still long enough to ENJOY the experience of a bubble bath. I know from what I hear from other girls, it's an "experience". It's not JUST to cleanse your skin, it's to relax you mind, body & spirit.
Well not me pal! I don't relax. I think of the hundred things I SHOULD be doing. Even with the help of a good book, the cold water is deterrent. And that kids hand poking at me from under the door, could very well have something to do with it.
I am known for quick showers. I don't dilly dally in there. Not much to see or do in my opinion. Get in, get wet, lather up hair with shampoo, rinse, lather up conditioner on hair (this is my trick for getting time for it to work) and then lather the body. Rinse body, rinse hair, OUT. TIME!
Under 5 minutes. I'm good. I know you're asking what about shaving? Those are the 5 min showers.
This brings me around to my newest reason to love showers. I took a shower the other day in the middle of a Saturday. My husband was home, I had the opportunity with the kids distracted to take my time. It was a lazy day & my mood carried over into the shower. I took my time, I was in NO hurry. I let the water beat on my back where my muscles hurt. I usually like the water warm, NOT hot. I took the knob & cranked it to hot. Then when that got cool, I cranked it some more. It felt GOOOOOOOOOOD! And wouldn't you know the sound of the water totally drowns out the little cries of "Mommy!" seeping under the bathroom door.
I left there feeling like a whole new woman.
I wasn't feeling lazy anymore, I was RELAXED. I found a way to escape from the aches & pains of life! I discovered I LOVE showers. Maybe this is why my husband can take 15 minute showers until the hot water tank empties. I found his secret. I see now why he LOVED the hot water. It's hot to melt away the stress & worry from your muscles! Oh yeah, I am keeping my new habit of long showers & as soon as my kid is on the bus this afternoon, I'm off to the showers!
Who knew what I was missing!? I'm a happy, changed woman....pruney but relaxed.
3 comments:
I also, love the Hot Water, and will get up earlier than the other family members just to make sure I get my fair share!!!! However, my daughter has resulted to taking her shower at night (for the same reason... I assume!) Ha! I figure that I am older and ache more... so how would I be able to get moving if I didn't get the majority of the HOT water each morning!!!!!!! -hb
Yes, my sister--I love long, hot showers, too! (But I love long, hot baths for the same reasons--I don't read in the tub; I just soak. When the water gets cold, you open the drain and run more hot. It's a talent...)
Glad you found a way to relax--we all need it!
Huh. This explains why my brother takes 30 min. plus showers. He's often told me that if he could stick a TV and a seat in there, it would be perfect.
Glad you found a way to relax.
-Lisa
Post a Comment