It's the first day of school! I've made it! And I guess more importantly, the kids survived as well.
I guess I should fill you in on some of the more exciting moments of the summer so you don't feel left out & can empathize with why today, I would like to be left completely alone.
Summer school went beautifully. #2 son did have a couple of hiccups & need to be picked up before the half day was out. But after MUCH, MUCH medicine adjustment, I think he is where he needs to be. It was at the begining of July when he developed a tic one morning. He started tipping his head to the side & swiping his cheek on his shirt. At first this seemed like nothing. Then he kept doing it, ALL day long. For some reason, this unerved me. I guess it was the proverbial straw breaking the camels back. Just one more thing this child does NOT need going on. Just one more thing for people to stare at. And just one more thing to go see a doctor about & try not to panic. We traveled all the way to Claremore & saw our favorite & best doctor. She was convinced this was not a tic but a nerve problem in the brain from prolonged use of his meds. It can become permanent so I guess Mommy had good reason to panic. We started immedietly weaning him off his meds he had been on for 2+ years. To say we were nervous was an understatement. But being that son #2 takes an anti-psychotic drug, you can't just stop. We've seen the Law & Order specials on what happens when you do that.
About the time we got down to one dose a day, he started acting out. Worse than earlier in the summer. It reminded us of when we first started him on the meds. So back up we went to two doses. The doctor did not think this was a level of dosing that should cause anymore of the side effects. Of course, this means messing with the dosing at the pharmacy and with the dreaded school nurse. We won't speak of her anymore now.
Son#1 had a good summer. He was happy with the three weeks between summer school & the regular school year starting. The computer & Wii saw lots of action. And he went to VBS at church as well. He made strides this year. Last July he wouldn't stay & watch dramatime with the kids dressed up acting out the Bible story. He was scared. This year, he stayed & even seems to have developed a crush on one of the teen girls in dramatime. Son#1 also found a girl favorite on the tv show, "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" too. Cathy. He would spell her name to me each week the show was about to come on. He practically cried when she was kicked off. I'm seeing a pattern here that he likes brunettes.
Son#2's summer consisted of meltdowns & taking his pull-up off & running around naked. My back aches from bending over to put his pull-up back on him for the millionth time a day! It is good news because this means he's figured out he doesn't want poo on him or to be wet. However, the idea of how on earth I'm gonna potty train this somewhat gentle giant, is a little daunting. It does NOT help, that son#3 has decided this summer to copy everything his peapod (son#2) does. They DO look hilarious running around the house naked looking like Jolly Green Giant & Sprout though.
Yesterday at meet the teacher I went to son#2's school and left him home. One of his friends, Mario was there with his mother. Lovely woman. She's fiesty, I like that. She mentioned one day she & her husband were sitting watching tv when pink stuff kept falling on them. And they heard scurring around up above. Thinking they had a rodent, they went to look in the attic. Mario was up there running across beams & hiding in the corner. Lucky he didn't fall through the part that wasn't floored. Her story reminded me of how we couldn't find son#2 one time. Searched everywhere & I was so worried and ready to go run around outside searching. We found him in the garage, sitting in the car.
Mario came right up to me & gave me kisses & hugs. His mother was worried, I told her I was used to it, son#2 does it as well. Stares into your eyes & kisses you. Of course, these boys ARE getting rather tall, and in 3rd grade now. But I didn't mind. Mario always smells SO yummy and like me, loves chapstick. He apparently doesn't like to be wet either because she said on a 7 hr trip to Austin, TX this summer, Mario did not pee his pull-up. Wow these kids are stubborn.
This summer son#2 has been making this noise we can't figure out. Remember that old beer commercial where the guys all called each other saying "Whazzzz uppp"?? Well, it's drawn out like that & sounds like "DUUUUUDE". At his school yesterday I figured out Mario was saying this too. And it turns out, son#2's girlfriend Emma, started this sound "BA-DOOOO" when she wanted to play ball. Lightbulb moment. I was so impressed that the kids were copying each other! This is a great sign!
Well, I apologize for not blogging this summer. I tried to save my energy to cook lunch & dinner. The heat got bad in the last part of July & August so I was conserving my strength. Plus a bored son#2, means the house is trashed each & every day. My blood pressure meds were making me VERY tired & out of it. And the best husband in all the kingdom did all our laundry & dishes. What a prince! But now, I'm on a new med, back to normal & we're still house hunting. Day by day. And today people, I'm in hiding. When the baby goes down to nap, I will actually be alone in my house for the first time since May. Tears may be shed.
There was a furniture store in the town I grew up in that would have a sale ever so often. And their commercial was, "Don't come, don't call, don't peek!" So I'm telling you, please, give me just this one day left to myself, and I'll be a new person tomorrow.
8 comments:
Well, I don't blame you for not blogging; it sounds like your days have been full!
I loved your description of #2 and #3 as the Jolly Green Giant and Sprout...lol! Adorable.
Enjoy the return of Mommy Time, and we'll be praying for your househunt!
Don't worry about not blogging - your days have been more than full! Myself, I'm dreading school starting in 18 days. It's wonderful that son #2 is copying a verbal effort! Weaning the meds must have been scary. It's good that you're so vigilant, and acted on the reaction right away! That's the kind of thing that sends shivers down my spine. Your Mom instincts were right on target!
Hugs, Ann.
Hooray for Mommy time! You'll have to tell me what that's like ... :)
I hope that school is going well for you all!
Glad you survived School Days !!!
I am here answering your question from my Blog :)
The Hat Pattern is a FiberTrends .. Childs Lacy Cap!!!
I didn' thave your email to answer :)
Penny
Oops.. I just saw that is a different hat with flower on it...
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/freeKnittingPatternAnnaHat.asp
Here is the link :)
Penny
it sounds like you've had THE hectic time of summer, Jules! I always find with children the normal routines and patterns for things like "me" time or *crafty* time goes by the wayside once they break from school for the holidays.
You've had your hands more than full, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you are on top of things and mindful of changes - I'm glad to hear you've a brilliant dh - lots of CYBER HUGS!!
Love, Sue
ps loved your thoughtful comments - thanks!
I can see your boys running through my dining room here!
Stubborn streak a mile wide here too- first day of school was a no go for son 1 too.
OH I get those eye-staring kisses!!! I wondered where it came from...
I felt that the first time alone with baby and son 1- we survived miraculously!
still reading more.
Post a Comment