Monday, April 17, 2006

Smitten

Smitten: To affect sharply with great feeling.

Okay I will give ample warning here that unless you are ready to gag on the sweetness in this post, keep surfing.

We have a new baby in this house & I am completely & utterly in love. Now, I have loved all my children, and always the baby stage. But I'm especially smitten this time. I think it has something to do with the fact it's in all likelyhood our last child.
I get lost in his eyes & the way they are turning from dark blue to brown. I absolutely love the way he looks JUST like my husband. His long baby toes & fingers call to be kissed daily. And I can sit & stare at the way his eyelashes & eyebrows are filling in to match his full head of hair. He is the prettiest baby. He begs to be loved on with his laid back gummy smile & frog legs. My heart melts when he sleeps on his tummy & his little tiny hiney is stuck up in the air.
His double chin & fat cheeks bring tears of pride to my eyes & don't even get me started on his dimples. I want to hold him & look at him. Watch his eyes & see what he's taking in. I feel needed & loved unconditionally. I feel utter acceptance when I see him coo & smile at ME.

I realize most women feel this as mothers & even most fathers. But I haven't felt this much love & joy in 6 years. (last baby I had) Maybe it has something to do with my father passing away just a month before. Maybe that has affected the way I take it all in & revel in the little things. The way I'm not taking ANY of this for granted. I'm not caring so much about missed hours of sleep. I could care less about how old I'll be when he's graduating high school & to be honest, he makes me want more.

Some of the first things people ask me is how soon can you get a test to see if HE'S Autistic??
There IS no test at this stage & I can't tell you if we would have knowingly had more children had we KNOWN our children were Autistic. (that's the other question I get a lot)
Let me just say, my oldest son wasn't anywhere near diagnosed when we had our second son. Then this third son was our suprise! I love that God was in control & blessed us with children when He thought we needed them & the ones He thought we could handle.
I think one of my favorite lines in a song are the Sheryl Crow lyrics: It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

I want what I have more than anything I could have dreamt up to ask God for. Maybe Robert Young isn't the only father in that saying "Father knows best."

4 comments:

Katrina said...

*sniff!*

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL post!

I especially love that last line: "Maybe Robert Young isn't the only father in that saying 'Father knows best.'" Amen to that! You, of all people I know, seem to have mastered the skill of looking past all the difficult wrapping to find and embrace the gift God is giving you in all circumstances. Your boys are truly blessed! (And I wish I could stick my finger in those cute baby dimples myself!)

Living with ASD is all about crossing today's bridges today, and not worrying so much about tomorrow's. Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like faith.

God bless you and yours, sister!

Jules said...

Thanks seester!:) And by the way, some of those dimples aren't on his face.;)lol

Katrina said...

HahaHA!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm smitten with your post. Glad you are enjoying your new boy!
-Lisa